There were massive scenes of celebration in Conakry, the capital of Guinea, following a coup d’etat which resulted to the removal of Guinea’s President Alpha Condé on Sunday, September 5, after a heavy exchange of gunfire in the capital.
In the aftermath of the heavy exchange, the coup-plotting soldiers then announced on national television that the government had been dissolved.
“We are here to celebrate. We suffered a lot under the former president. But God has showed us that someone is much more powerful than the former president. We have been really patient, and our patience has paid off,” a resident of Conakry said on the street during jubilation.
“We are happy. Very very happy. We came out to celebrate this moment. To celebrate what we heard, what we saw. We are very very happy,” said another joyous resident.
The country’s borders were shut down and the constitution invalidated via an announcement read on national television by Col. Mamadi Doumbouya who informed Guineans that “the duty of a soldier is to save the country.”
France, the United Nations and others have all condemned the coup d’etat.
In a tweet on Sunday, September 5, United Nation’s Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he condemned any take over of power by force.
Although Guineans continue to celebrate this moment, especially after an unpleasant regime led by former president Alpha Condé, questions still hover in the air about the next government and the legality of such a government.
Guinea, a country where many hoped had turned the page on military power grabs, now follows such countries as Mali, Zimbabwe and Sudan where the military has directly seized power.